Tuesday, April 12, 2011

On Monday April 11th, each of the 17 Cobb County Library Managers, the Director and various Trustees got a letter similar to that below, slightly changed to reflect their positions.  Since it seems that Director Poyer is not going to do anything, perhaps making the problem more widely known will help.
==================================================

April 8, 2011

Ms. Franklin, Trustee
Cobb County Public Library System
266 Roswell Street
Marietta, Ga 30060

Problems with Allocation of Books within the Library System


Dear Ms. Franklin:

I believe that there is a problem with the allocation of books within the Cobb County Library System.  My letter to Director Poyer did not resolve it and I hope you and the Board of Trustees will take a look at the problem as described on my blog site.

I suspect that the ‘floating’ system in use in our system is responsible for this and it is  probably the same with other Regional vs. Local libraries.  This needs to change ASAP so that books do not keep piling up in unusable quantities in the Main and Regional Libraries.

My research is between the West Cobb Regional and Kennesaw Downtown libraries and I suspect that this is taking place throughout the 17 library system.  I know that our Kennesaw branch library is getting fewer books in the stacks than we should be getting.  Please take a look at the Blogsite for additional details on this and other points which show that the West Cobb Regional Library has far too many copies of titles vs. our own Kennesaw Library.

I am disappointed that my inquiry to the Library Director (shown on blog site) did not result in the problem being corrected.  The reply was full of generalities and platitudes, more suitable for a letter soliciting donations than an attempt to look into an existing problem.

I expect something to be done to correct the matter and I will be contacting both the media and Library Trustees in order to make the Library more effective in serving its patrons.

Sincerely yours,

Bill Harris
P O Box 7252
Marietta, Ga 30065

encl:  misc.